NRMRC Meeting Highlights - March 2017
March 1, 2017 Minutes
Attendees – 13, 4 via SKYPE
- Welcome (Dave Koss) Thanks Todd for hosting. Seven folks showed for last Sunday’s running of trains.
- Consent Agenda Motion to approve: Mark Blaustein, Second: John Wallis
a. Treasurer's Report (see file on website)
b. Minutes of the Last Meeting
- Immediately Past and Upcoming Train Shows
- Stone Ridge Retirement Center at Cary Towne Center, February 11 - 12. Superintendent: Joel McCurry. T-TRAK. Well attended.
- New Bern, March 4-5, 2017 Dave Derway Superintendent NTRAK – Set up to go … load shed Friday 10:00 NTRAK only
- Proposed - Carol Woods for April 2017 T-TRAK, Joe Johnston superintendent. Approved date - April 1st. Joe will be notified.
- TCA, May 6, 2017. Only one day - Superintendent John Wallis T-TRAK
- Spencer Shops, May 12-13, (Friday & Saturday). Still need superintendent coordinating with Central Carolina and Lynchburg – John to check the details with Gill Brausch. Spencer on hold. NTRAK only.
- Johnson City TN, first Friday and Saturday, June 2-3, 2017. Need superintendent to coordinate with Lynchburg. NTRAK only
- Windsor Point: Because of Johnson City and NSE in Pittsburgh (June 21 – 25) we probably should aim for a different weekend for this show than our normal Father’s Day weekend (June 17-18). Still awaiting information. NTRAK only
- National N Scale Convention (NSE) Pittsburgh June 20-24 2017 - John Wallis will provide both NTRAK, T-TRAK
- Proposed - Grand Strand Model Train Show the weekend of November 11/12 (week after NRV) in Myrtle Beach SC. Last year we were invited and chose not to go. This year they have invited all the ENL clubs so we should re-evaluate based on how many ENL clubs decide to participate. T-TRAK or NTRAK. Currently iffy for NRMRC. – Info item only at this time.
- Standards Committee Update (David Derway)
- Apex – the Junction module is at Todd’s house – ballast work to be done, then rail painting, then scratch building by Rick Deleflav, Paul Ohegyi, and Terry Baker – deadline for completion is the N Scale National Convention in Pittsburgh
- The Corner Module Set – Gray Rock 90% done, with temporary skyboard. Covered Bridge 85% done. All to be completed in time for New Bern.
- Trailer modifications – designing rollaway carts, added front shelf for loose items.
- NOTE: If there are any additional items that need to be added for the Standards Committee to address, please let David Derway know.
- Education Committee Update (Gerry Foster)
- We need to discuss and plan the “Best Practices” programs, get presenters and schedule them in the first half of this year. John will put together thoughts on this issue.
- Next month at Paul’s house (3rd floor) still need program for April, have 5 minute tip. Still need programs throughout the year
- Monday night, March 6th, 7:00. John needs a substitute for presentation to St. James, 3808 St. James Road, Raleigh. Larry Card volunteered to step in.
- Communications Update (Larry Hicks)
- Migrating from Yahoo Groups to NRMRC communications. Still a work in progress. Still some speedbumps. Evaluating the transition at this point – Larry Hicks
- Facebook page – Currently have ~ 1,290 followers! We’ve been posting a few tidbits to hold interest. The NRMRC membership on Facebook is encouraged to like & follow the site.
- Education online – thoughts? https://nrmrc.org/content/education Still need follow through
- Videos for website – try to video New Bern. Suggest also, use the Flickr account and post - will provide instructions. On agenda for next month at Paul’s home. Currently evaluating this discussion.
- Old Business (Dave Koss)
- Emergency funds, project funds. Propose $3,000 in reserve, $2,000 for ongoing module projects. Need to assess annual revenues. Todd raised the question about insurance? – Todd will work with Joe about potential insurance options, plus calculate proposed revenues from dues. Dave Koss will draft a document for use in obtaining coverage.
- Carole Woods – proposed T-TRAK Reasonable to request. Propose April 1st. Joe Johnston will be notified. He will also be the Superintendent.
- Brown line – deadline for T-TRAK – set up work session.
- N-TRAK Meeting – The vote on new standards is in. Over 85% voted for the standards.
- New Business (Dave Koss)
- Next Meeting: Paul Ohegyi
5-Minute Tip: Mortar lines on brick walls
Program: Using Flickr for show reports (Still TBD)
- Meeting Adjourn Motion to adjourn: Larry Hicks
- Programs / Hands-on workshops
- LED lighting led by Paul Ohegyi
- Coupler repair and maintenance led by Todd Shoffeitt
- JMRI Decoder Pro programming led by John Wallis
Overall, the hands-on workshops were positively received. Thanks to the session leaders!
Copyright © 1997–2017 North Raleigh Model Railroad Club. All rights reserved. The NRMRC is a Not-For-Profit Corporation incorporated in North Carolina. The various logos and heralds shown here are the property of their respective organizations.