NRMRC Meeting - August 2017

Meeting Date: 
Aug 2 2017
Hosted by: 
Todd Shoffeitt
Program Title: 
Hands on T-TRAK building
Presented by: 
Todd Shoffeitt



Welcome (Todd Shoffeitt)

Consent Agenda


Treasurer's Report (see file on website)

Minutes of the Last Meeting

Windsor Point: July 29-30, 2017



Upcoming Train Shows

  • Danville Old 97 Rail Days. NTRAK John Wallis Superintendent. September 23 - 24 with setup on the 22nd. NOTE: The TCA show will be in Danville the same weekend, but NRMRC will not participate in that segment. Layout plan submitted, again working on transport issues with trailer.John will report back in August meeting.
  • Selma, October 5 – 7. We have been asked to have the layout operating on the Thursday and Friday as well as Saturday. Agreed to set-up and begin display on Thursday and run until Sat. More to come at future meetings.
  • Neuse River Valley Show, November 3 setup, show Nov 4-5, N-Trak with Eastern N Lines, T-Trak, Dave Koss - NRMRC Superintendent, John Wallis - T-TRAK Superintendent: Will send invitation to all Eastern N Lines Club to participate, do not expect participation from Central Carolina. More information to come in future meetings.
  • Proposed - Grand Strand Model Train Show the weekend of November 11/12 (week after NRV) in Myrtle Beach SC. Club has declined to participate but individual members are encourage to attend with or without modules at their own convenience. Other Eastern N Lines Clubs have declined.
  • TCA Show, December 2-3, John Wallis Superintendent: T-TRAK only: Details to come at a future meeting.
  • World’s Greatest Hobby on Tour, Charlotte, January 2018. Central Carolina Organizing: we have indicated to Central Carolina that we would be participating. No further information at this time.
  • T-TRAK Show in Galloway Ridge – spring 2018. Mark Blaustein – Superintendent. Mark will check dates.


Standards Committee Update (David Derway)

NOTE: If there are any additional items that need to be added for the Standards Committee to address, please let David Derway know.


Grey Rock / Covered Bridge Corner: all repairs and modifications completed

Apex Module: Committee meeting to be held at Windsor Point to discuss next steps

FitzGerald Yard: Sides are completed, all other repairs and modification completed


        Scenic refresh. Module review by Jim K. and David D. Thursday.

        Budgeting, fund approval, afterward.  J. Kalenowski/Derway

        Track piece fix. Derway – points cleaned, worked well at Johnson City

Long Bridge: Center support leg for Mountain Division. Needs design, manufacture. No additional information


Trailer Updates – No Report

Metal stanchion cart. Design underway, needs budgeting, manufacture.

Plastic stanchion base cart. Design underway, needs budgeting, manufacture.

Ramp entry easement. Needs design, budgeting, manufacture.

Clamp instructions: To be laminated and installed: Instructions printed. McCurry/Derway

Door chain. McCurry/Derway - Complete.



Education Committee Update (Gerry Foster)

     Need 5 Minute Modeling Tips starting September until December, excepting November,

       plus Programs for August through December, excepting November


To date, we have Jim Reske with a TBA program in September and Al Guckes with a program on 'Diners' for November. All other months are open for programs.  5 Minute Tips are open for the balance of the year.

We could still use some direction on best practices, either NTRAK or T-TRAK. Some direction on the trailer/storage shed coordination of what goes where before and after shows.


Communications Update (Larry Hicks)

Education online – thoughts?  Still need follow through.

Still stuff on old website that needs to be moved to the new site. Specific topics to be provided.

Old Business (Todd Shoffeitt)

  • Trailer Insurance Coverage – Club owns their trailers (Virginia) – will ask other clubs in Pittsburgh. David Koss & Jim Kalenowski will explore. No progress made, further discussion needed
  • Request to assist with an HO layout in Spencer – David Koss will respond
  • Trailer and ability to pull the trailer – discussion. David Koss will check on the perspective of a car rental agency. Discussion will continue. No progress made, further discussion needed
  • T-TRAK modules – creating new modules and plan for review & replacing old/failing modules. Propose that Joe Peacock make 2 custom junction modules and Charles Eisner will purchase and own the modules, to be provided to the club. 15 new preassembled modules being purchased by members. Working groups for setup, painting, track, wiring, accessory busses if desired, etc. Asking John Wallis and Joe Peacock to assist.
  • Creating hands-on public sessions to attract new hobbyists. NRMRC Open House –

Propose a committee to detail an approach. Todd Shoffeitt, Paul Ohegyi, David Koss,

Sly Glass. Determine what & where. Todd Shoffeitt reported on some initial investigation into locations at Senior Activity Centers, Wake County Public Schools, Wake County Libraries, and a private facility in Wake Forest, all of which were anticipated to cost in the $400-1200 range for the day which is not feasible.Todd encouraged members of the Committee and Club to discuss need with Church’s, Moose, VFW, retail stores, etc. to locate a suitable facility available for a weekend day at little or no cost. Criteria for facility are 1,200-2,000 square feet of level, air conditioned space with public access, restrooms and electrical power.

New Business (Todd Shoffeitt).


Next Meeting: September 6, 2017 Jim Reske 

5-Minute Tip: TBD

Program: TBD, Jim Reske


Meeting Adjourn


Refreshments and Socializing

5-Minute Tip: Preparing Locomotives for Running

Program: Hands-on building of T-TRAK modules



Copyright © 1997–2018 North Raleigh Model Railroad Club. All rights reserved. The NRMRC is a Not-For-Profit Corporation incorporated in North Carolina. The various logos and heralds shown here are the property of their respective organizations.


">randomness -->