NRMRC Meeting - November 2017

Meeting Date: 
Nov 1 2017
Hosted by: 
Al Guckes
Program Title: 
"Diners"
Presented by: 
Al Guckes

Date:   November 1, 2017                                          Time: 7:30 pm

Host:   Al Guckes      

             

Agenda

 

Welcome (David Koss)

Consent Agenda

_________________________

Treasurer's Report (see file on website)

Minutes of the Last Meeting
https://nrmrc.org/events/meeting-minutes/nrmrc-meeting-highlights-october-2017 

Train Shows

Selma Rail Days
https://nrmrc.org/events/show-reports/selma-rail-days-superintendents-report-october-5-7-2017

_________________________

Upcoming Train Shows

  • Neuse River Valley Show, November 3 setup, show Nov 4-5, N-Trak with Eastern N Lines, T-Trak, Dave Koss - NRMRC Superintendent, John Wallis – T-TRAK Superintendent. We will have the same location and space. ENL clubs invited at Danville. Suggested that Junior Engineer layout be more to front of overall space than back where it was last year (see earlier posted messages from David Koss).
  • TCA Show, December 2-3, John Wallis Superintendent: T-TRAK only: Will pursue in November
  • World’s Greatest Hobby on Tour, Charlotte, January 13-14 2018. Setup on the 12th. Central Carolina Organizing: we have indicated to Central Carolina that we would be participating. ENL clubs invited at Danville. John Wallis to inquire about T-TRAK. Need a NRMRC Coordinator. Superintendent from Gil Brauch w/ Central Carolina Club.
  • T-TRAK Show in Galloway Ridge – February 3rd. Mark Blaustein – Superintendent. Full auditorium available this round. T-TRAK. Will make the call for modules in December.
  • Upcoming TCA (February) & New Bern (Feb 24-25) shows TBD

Standards Committee Update (David Derway)

NOTE: If there are any additional items that need to be added for the Standards Committee to address, please let David Derway know.

Current

  • Apex Module: Folks are meeting at Todd Shoffeitt’s home the Sunday prior to the club meeting to discuss the scenery plan with whoever is there and wants to be in on the discussion. Next steps are to be discussed briefly at the club meeting.
  • FitzGerald Yard: Jim Kalenowski and Joe Peacock found a few maintenance issues (loose wire, turnout switch linkage) that needed to be done and took care of them, along with adding some touch up paint on the wood and plaster areas that are subject to wear from transportation. Thank you Jim and Joe!
  • Long Bridge: Center support leg for Mountain Division. Awaiting input from David Derway. Temporary fix will be a stick that David Derway will provide.
  • Second Crossover Module: detailed design using Unitrak to be completed by November meeting (Wallis)

Trailer Update: No information available.

  • Metal stanchion cart. Design underway, needs budgeting, manufacture.
  • Plastic stanchion base cart. Design underway, needs budgeting, manufacture.
  • Ramp entry easement. Needs design, budgeting, manufacture.
  • Clamp instructions: To be laminated and installed: Instructions printed. McCurry/Derway

  

Communications Update (Todd/Chris)

  • Pages transfers from the old web site to the new. Action: Larry Hicks/Chris Thompson. Work in Progress
  • Members encouraged to provide articles and pics to be posted to Facebook. Those on Facebook are encouraged to go to the NRMRC page and like us, to become one of the 1,300+ followers on our page. Search ‘NRMRC’ and you will see the site with our logo. You can avoid the older site out there.
  • Through Flicker, members should also provide pictures to events on the website. https://nrmrc.org/  
  • Education online – thoughts? https://nrmrc.org/content/education  Still need follow through.

 

Old Business (Dave Koss)

We will need a project to take detailed photos on the modules and inventory. Include a site location for storing and updating the list/pictures. At the next meetings, we will determine details on how this will be accomplished. John photographed all T-TRAK Modules. Will also photo inventory the electronics. NOTE: pics can be used for module pics on the website.

NOTES:

A mechanism to accomplish this already exists. The website has a roster for both NTRAK & T-TRAK modules (list). Existing photos can be uploaded to Flickr by the photographer. Tagging can be applied to match photos with modules. Descriptions can include electronics and other.

Anyone can do this now - you just need a desire to. Help is available for those willing.

In fact this one project can tie into two items from the..

Communications Update (Todd/Chris)

  • Through Flicker, members should also provide pictures to events (and modules) on the website
  • Members encouraged to provide articles and pics to be posted to Facebook.

Members interested in their own modules, or members interested in social media can team up and write descriptions of their own or club modules (bread and butter) for our website site content. THEN our web content can be shared to social media sites.

Imagine if we had a fully developed module roster on our site, full of photos, descriptions, and equipment lists (electrical). One could then connect the dots and create content on how the parts work towards the whole. Documenting/demonstrating how a particular control panel was designed and built, or how signaling on Fitz Yard came to be. This content would have value. If we developed it, we could finally address:

Trailer and ability to pull the trailer – discussion. David Koss will check on the perspective of a car rental agency. No progress made, further discussion needed. Gerry will check on whether vehicle rentals will permit towing of private trailer.

Creating hands-on public sessions to attract new hobbyists. Work continues. Plan for 2018. Todd Shoffeitt, Paul Ohegyi, David Koss, Sly Glass.

Stanchions update: Info provided to Gerry Foster to help with planning improvements/replacements for out metal stanchions.

Changes coming to NTRAK due to loss of two Directors (death, resignation). More to come at December meeting.

Gene Sing of the Piedmont Model RR Museum is planning to rent a 1,400 sq ft storefront in Cary Town Center. There will be room for us, if we wish, to set up a small NTRAK or a larger T-TRAK layout. Note: the store will not be open for all Mall hours. Interest was expressed depending on additional information to come. Propose an exploration committee, John Wallis to determine committee membership. Members encouraged to drop by and look at the space.

 

New Business (David Koss)

Upcoming elections to be held at the Annual Meeting in January: Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer and a Director (need a reminder on which Director’s term is expiring). Nominations open this month.

Time and location for January Annual Meeting. Reservation responsibilities.
 

Next Meeting: December 6, 2017 Joel McCurry

     5-Minute Tip: TBD

     Program: Layout Design for Shows, John Wallis

 

Meeting Adjourn

Refreshments and Socializing

5-Minute Tip: TBD

Program: “Diners” Al Guckes

Social

 

Copyright © 1997–2017 North Raleigh Model Railroad Club. All rights reserved. The NRMRC is a Not-For-Profit Corporation incorporated in North Carolina. The various logos and heralds shown here are the property of their respective organizations.

 

randomness