NRMRC Meeting - September 2017

Meeting Date: 
Sep 6 2017
Hosted by: 
Jim Reske
Program Title: 
George Irwin on history of N scale, with commentary, Jim Reske
Presented by: 
Jim Reske
5-min tip: 
Care and feeding of track cart (tent)
Presented by: 
David Derway

Monthly Meeting

Date:   September 6, 2017                                          Time: 7:30 pm

Host:   Jim Reske                

Agenda

 

Welcome (David Koss)

Consent Agenda

_________________________

Treasurer's Report (see file on website)

Minutes of the Last Meeting
https://nrmrc.org/events/meeting-minutes/nrmrc-meeting-highlights-august-2017

_________________________

Upcoming Train Shows

  • Lynchburg, August – Christopher Thompson, Dave Thompson, & Joel McCurry attending.
  • Danville Old 97 Rail Days. NTRAK John Wallis Superintendent. September 23 - 24 with setup on the 22nd. NOTE: The TCA show will be in Danville the same weekend, but NRMRC will not participate in that segment. Layout plan submitted, again working on transport issues with trailer. New Jersey Southern & Lynchburg committed their modules. Hotels are filling up fast. Final discussion at September’s meeting.
  • Selma, October 5 – 7. We have been asked to have the layout operating on the Thursday and Friday as well as Saturday. Agreed to set-up and begin display on Thursday and run until Sat. More to come at September/October meetings.
  • Neuse River Valley Show, November 3 setup, show Nov 4-5, N-Trak with Eastern N Lines, T-Trak, Dave Koss - NRMRC Superintendent, John Wallis – T-TRAK Superintendent: Will send invitation to all Eastern N Lines Club to participate, do not expect participation from Central Carolina. More information to come in future meetings.
  • TCA Show, December 2-3, John Wallis Superintendent: T-TRAK only: Details to come at a future meeting.
  • World’s Greatest Hobby on Tour, Charlotte, January 2018. Central Carolina Organizing: we have indicated to Central Carolina that we would be participating. No further information at this time.
  • T-TRAK Show in Galloway Ridge – February 3rd. Mark Blaustein – Superintendent. Full auditorium available this round. T-TRAK.

Standards Committee Update (David Derway)

NOTE: If there are any additional items that need to be added for the Standards Committee to address, please let David Derway know.

Current

Grey Rock / Covered Bridge Corner: all repairs and modifications completed. Issues with Grey Rock almost rectified. A jumper between red and orange buses needs to be made to power orange and the juicers.

Covered Bridge: Completed. Building attached, still working on streetlight detail, but declared complete.

Apex Module: Committee meeting still needs to be held to determine next steps and scenic, including buildings if desired.

FitzGerald Yard: Sides are completed, all other repairs and modification completed, but found signal issues. Jim K. is working with manufacturer to replace bad boards. Request $44 for power source. Motion: Joe Johnston motion, Todd Shoffeitt second. Approved

            Long Bridge: Center support leg for Mountain Division. Needs design, manufacture. No additional information. Temporary solution worked at Windsor Point.

Need for second crossover module after Red Rock: John looking into details using Kato double crossovers. We have the module, so shouldn’t take a lot. Standards committee will determine final dispensation. Recommended to continue detailing idea. Plan and estimate to be brought forward through Standards Committee.

 

Trailer Updates

Metal stanchion cart. Design underway, needs budgeting, manufacture.

Plastic stanchion base cart. Design underway, needs budgeting, manufacture.

Ramp entry easement. Needs design, budgeting, manufacture.

Clamp instructions: To be laminated and installed: Instructions printed. McCurry/Derway

 

Education Committee Update (Gerry Foster)

Need 5 Minute Modeling Tips starting September until December, excepting November, plus Programs for August through December, excepting November

To date, we have Jim Reske with a TBA program in September and Al Guckes with a program on 'Diners' for November. All other months are open for programs. 5 Minute Tips are open for the balance of the year.

We could still use some direction on best practices, either NTRAK or T-TRAK. Some direction on the trailer/storage shed coordination of what goes where before and after shows. John will work up something for later in the year.

Communications Update

Education online – thoughts? https://nrmrc.org/content/education  Still need follow through.

Still stuff on old website that needs to be moved to the new site. Specific topics to be provided.

 

Old Business (Dave Koss)

  • Trailer Insurance Coverage – Club owns their trailers (Virginia) – will ask other clubs in Pittsburgh. David Koss & Jim Kalenowski will explore. No progress made, further discussion needed.
  • We will need a project to take detailed photos on the modules and inventory. Include a site location for storing and updating the list/pictures. At the next meetings, we will determine details on how this will be accomplished.
  • Trailer and ability to pull the trailer – discussion. David Koss will check on the perspective of a car rental agency. No progress made, further discussion needed.
  • Creating hands-on public sessions to attract new hobbyists. NRMRC Open House – update. Todd Shoffeitt, Paul Ohegyi, David Koss, Sly Glass.
  • Stanchions update – Gerry Foster

 

 

New Business (David Koss)

 

Next Meeting: October 4, 2017 Charles Eisner

     5-Minute Tip: TBD

     Program: TBD

Meeting Adjourn

Refreshments and Socializing

5-Minute Tip: Care and feeding of the track cart, Dave Derway (tent)

Program: George Irwin on history of N scale, with commentary, Jim Reske

Social

 

Copyright © 1997–2017 North Raleigh Model Railroad Club. All rights reserved. The NRMRC is a Not-For-Profit Corporation incorporated in North Carolina. The various logos and heralds shown here are the property of their respective organizations.

 

randomness